Soft Sourdough Pretzels
Soft Sourdough Pretzels. I mean come on, who doesn’t LOVE soft pretzels? Sourdough baked goods has become a staple in our kitchen for years. Mostly, because sourdough seems to be easier to digest, especially in those with auto-immune issues.
This post may contain affiliate links. By purchasing through these links, I may make a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Sourdough Is Easier To Digest.
This is because of the fermenting processing that gives sourdough its famous chewy, dense texture. Fermenting the bread grains creates prebiotics and probiotics qualities, both of which are found to improve digestive health. ( Kefir is also excellent source of raw probiotics) Hey, I’m not saying soft sourdough pretzels are a health food, however, when it comes to baked goods, sourdough seems to be the lesser of the evils.
Soft Sourdough Pretzels
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1.5 Tablespoons Honey
- 1.5 Cup Sourdough Starter
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- *Extra for mixing bowl
- 4 Quarts water
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil - Butter or Bacon Fat- for basting the top of the pretzels
- Fun topping of choice
- In a microwave proof bowl, warm milk, butter and honey until butter is melted, roughly 1 minute.
- Pour warmed milk mixture into a kitchen aid bowl, add flour and sourdough starter.
- Using the dough hook, until a nice ball is formed, adding flour as it turns to prevent sticking.
- Place dough in a greased glass bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to double in size for two hours.
- Heat water until a soft simmer. Add baking soda to the water.
- Uncover dough and plop down on a flat floured surface, kneading the dough several times until smooth.
- Separate dough into 12 balls.
- Shape into 12-18' tube/rod shapes. Finally, shape into pretzels, pinching the center.
- Using a spider, gentle place the soft pretzel into the simmering water. Allow the pretzel to float to the top, using the spider, carefully scoop it out and set it on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- With a brush, coat top of pretzel with olive oil, melted butter or bacon fat. Top with sesame seeds, course salt or topping of choice.
- Bake on convention at 400 for 22 minutes. If convection is not an option, bake 425 for 15-18 minutes.
Soft Sourdough Pretzels Freeze Really Well
I like to make these up two batches at a time. I shape them into pretzels shape, freeze them on a flat cookie sheet. Once frozen, I pop them in a couple gallon ziplock bags until I have the time to cook them all. The shaped dough forms exceptionally well and is something you can make in advance. When you are ready to make the pretzels, pull them out of the freezer and allow them to thaw for about an hour. Its ok if they are still a bit frozen, as the simmering water will quickly heat them up.
If you currently do not have a sourdough starter and are wanting to get one going, check out this one from Alderman Farms.